How to Get Alcoholic Beverages Out of Carpet
- Scrape or blot up excess spill.
- Apply detergent solution (1/4 teaspoon clear hand dishwashing soap and 1 cup warm water) with a damp towel; leave on for 3 to 5 minutes (blot, don’t rub).
- Apply water with a damp towel.
- Blot, then finish with a weighted pad of white paper towels.
Always rinse with water and blot dry as the last procedure.
- Apply – Apply all liquids to a clean white (not printed) towel or paper towel and use to dampen carpet. Never wet a carpet through to the backing.
- Blot – Press straight down with a pad of clean white paper towels – never rub. Rubbing alters carpet texture. Then in a final blotting, leave 1/2″ of paper towels on spot overnight with a weight.
- Weight – A weight 1/2″ pad of white paper towels, left overnight, will absorb the last traces of liquid and foreign materials. Make sure the weighted object is colorfast and will not bleed onto the carpet.
- Rinse – Apply water to a white towel or paper towel; blot, don’t rub.
- Ammonia – Undiluted, unscented, clear (not sudsy) household ammonia.
- Detergent – Mix 1/4 teaspoon clear, see-through hand dish-washing detergent with 1 cup warm water.
- Hydrogen peroxide/ammonia – 1 teaspoon undiluted, unscented, clear (not sudsy) household ammonia. Use within 22 hours of mixing.
WE RECOMMEND THE PROCEDURES SPECIFIED IN THIS ARTICLE FOR SHAW FLOORS CARPET MADE WITH Fibers from Shaw Floors. Do not use these procedures sub sequent to, or in combination with, other cleaning procedures or products. Always rinse with plain water to finalize the spot cleaning procedure.
Since research has shown that many products sold for do-it-yourself spot removal clean poorly and their residues rapidly attract soil on the cleaned area afterward, Shaw Floors recommends R2x Stain and Soil remover for optimum spot cleaning. Additional cleaning products in the CRI certification program are listed at www.carpet-rug.org.
These stain removal procedures are for some of the most common household spills. These stain removal and cleaning procedures have been carefully developed for use on Shaw Floors’ carpet made with Shaw Floors’ carpet fibers and may not be appropriate for use on other types of carpet. The stain removal procedures are provided to assist in maintaining your Shaw Floors’ carpet and reflect the best information available. Remember, no carpet is stain proof.
For further information, call the Shaw Toll-free Consumer Information Hotline at (800) 441-7429